Working for: Ronnie Cowan MP for Inverclyde
Job Title: Caseworker (maternity cover for 9 months)
Location: Constituency office in Greenock, Inverclyde. Travel around the constituency may be required. Must be willing to travel occasionally to the MP’s office in London.
Salary: £16,000 – £26,093 (pro-rata)
Details: Ronnie Cowan MP is looking for a fixed term Caseworker, to cover maternity leave, in his busy constituency office in Inverclyde. This a perfect opportunity for someone with excellent casework, administrative and IT skills who works well in a small team, has a positive attitude and would like to gain experience in a Member’s office.
The Caseworker will provide advice and support to the MP’s constituents on a range of issues, such as financial, housing, welfare, immigration and health, and help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies, voluntary sector or other organizations.
Applicants should have a strong interest in local and national politics, and an awareness of the constituency of Inverclyde.
Occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
There is no possibility of the contract being extended or made permanent.
Responsibilities will include:
- Attend constituency surgeries and meetings.
- Manage and progress a portfolio of casework, including logging cases, taking appropriate actions promptly, monitoring progress, analysing patterns of enquiries and producing reports.
- Liaise with government agencies, voluntary sector and other organizations to help resolve cases.
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases.
- Respond to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, including drafting letters, emails and documents.
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance.
- Administrative support for the office.
- Excellent IT skills including a casework tracking system, MS Office Applications (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook), Internet and Intranet.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, with a positive and flexible approach.
- Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard.
- Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team.
- Good office administration skills.
Interview: Interviews will be held in the constituency office on 21st, 22nd & 23rd December (morning, afternoon or evening)
Start Date: 6th February 2017
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter setting out your eligibility for the role, paying particular attention to the necessary skills and responsibilities, to: email@example.com or 20 Crawfurd Street, Greenock, PA15 1LJ.
Closing Date: 12th December 2016.